Friday, July 31, 2009

May 6th 2009- Day before surgery

I woke up and walked out to the kitchen where my mom and Sherry were. Sherry was busy scurrying around to make us breakfast (nothing like bacon, eggs and homemade hash browns... mmm!!) and my mom was sitting at the table drinking coffee. They had already gone out to do chores (they let me sleep in :) ). I had to phone the hospital at 11:00am to find out what time I had to be at the hospital to check in. So Sherry, Mom and I ate breakfast and sat at the table chatting for a bit.... listening to Maggie and Ike snoring under the table (they are Sherry's dog..... coolest dogs ever.... they are boxers who seriously are like kids!). After we cleaned up the dishes from breakfast we sat down and were visiting again, I decided to use Sherry's computer to go on Facebook and get my last fix of it for a little while. It was kind of overwhelming how many people had wished me good thoughts... comforting to know I have so many good people in my life. I realized that it was almost 11am and that I should phone the hospital.

When I phoned the hospital they still did not have a time for me to be at the hospital (they were waiting for a bed to open) so they asked if I could phone back at 12pm. I was relieved and at the same time annoyed, I just wanted to know when I had to be there and I just wanted to get this stupid thing OVER with! But I knew that sometimes it is hard to get a bed the hospital is always so busy....

So I called the hospital back at 12 and they told me that I was to check in at admissions at 4 pm. My stomach started to tighten.... I am not really sure why. I think it was because I was hoping that they would still be like "Oh you are fine now, we don't actually have to do this surgery". I knew that that wouldn't happen but I was hoping!

I told my mom what time I had to be at the hospital so she knew when she had to drive me in. We decided that we would leave right away because Sherry lives 20 minutes outside of Edmonton and we wanted to do a bit of shopping before I had to be admitted, plus we also had to pick up my Aunt from the airport who flew in from Kelowna to be with us. It was sad to say goodbye to Sherry and Ike and Maggie, but we gave them all a round of hugs and I told them I would see them soon!

Mom and I drove into the city and did a bit of shopping.... she is the greatest! She bought me a fuzzy super soft bath robe that I could wear in the hospital, a pair of comfy sweats (for after the surgery) and just little things that I had forgotten I would or want!

We were taking our time in the store and realized that it was almost time to pick up my Auntie Randa from the airport. We hurried and paid for our stuff and then headed to the airport... we were a little late... haha poor Auntie was waiting on the sidewalk for us! By this time it was almost 4 pm and I had to head to the hospital.



North side of the hospitalWhen we got to the hospital Mom dropped me off at the front doors with my suitcase and went to park the truck. She told me her and Auntie would meet me in the admitting area.

The ladies in admitting got me to fill out all the paperwork and put on my wrist bands (for identification) then we went upstairs to my room.... nope nothing had changed from the last time I was in there. I get a horrible feeling in my stomach when I think about staying in hospitals..... I mean its not bad as far as hospitals go but its still a hospital. I set my bags down and sat down on my bed. The lights were not on, but I didn't want them on.... I sat there for a moment trying to relax then the nurses came in to take my vitals (blood pressure, pulse and temperature). Then because I wasn't having anything else done that evening the nurses said that I was allowed to go out for supper. I was excited.... One more meal of NON HOSPITAL food! Oh and of course I chose the Olive Garden... I LOVE LOVE LOVE it!.....

So we went to the Olive Garden... my mom's friend Tracey met us there. She had drove down so that my mom wouldn't have to be by herself while I was in the hospital. We had a great meal (and a good looking server :)...) then it was time to head back to the hospital so I could get to sleep. Mom dropped me off and they headed to their hotel. When I was walking back into the hospital it was so quiet... usually during the day it is so busy and there are so many people bustling about but at night it is so quiet... it is eerie........

I rode the glass elevator upstairs to my room, changed into my jammies and turned on my iPod. I fell asleep listening to my music....

No comments:

Post a Comment