Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Pre Surgery # 2

So I was wheeled into the "waiting area" along side about 3 other people. As I stared at the nurses going back and forth I was thinking about how this surgery was going to go. I was scared about what could happen... I just remembered the horrible pain that I had in my spine with the drain. Then all of the sudden the guy in the bed next to me started talking to me. It caught me by surprise because non of the patients were talking... just waiting..... We started chatting and he asked what I was "in" for. I told him that I was having a tumour removed from the bottom of my brain... and briefly explained to him that I have Cushing's Disease. I remember the guy was in shock... he asked me how old I was and I told him that I had just turned 21. He said that I was too young to have to go through all that... I laughed and said "This is round 2"..... he commented on how he thought that I must be a strong person to be able to go through such an operation... not once but twice! I just told him that sometimes you just don't have a choice and you deal with it the best way possible..... It was then that I asked him why he was having surgery. He told me that he had frost bit his foot so bad that they had to do surgery to see if they could repair it. If they couldn't repair it he may wake up without his foot. I honestly didn't know what to say... here this guy was feeling bad for me and he was not even sure if he was still going to have his foot by the end of the day. I quietly told him that I was sorry, and I wished him luck. I realized then that it could be MUCH worse for me.....



Finally they wheeled me into the operating room. Again same bright lights, lots of doctors/nurses, and it was cold. The only thing that was different was Ryan wasn't there. I was scared to have the anesthetic again (if you remember it made me feel like I was choking). The nurse came over and started putting the heart monitors on my chest. She asked me if I was okay, I simply said "Scared." She started rubbing my hand to help me relax. This time they didn't strap me down, or put the mask over my face.... they just gave me a needle through my IV..... and I fell asleep. This was much better for me, it wasn't scary... I didn't feel like I was choking to death, then the lights started to seem a little dimmer and the next thing I knew I was sleeping.

No comments:

Post a Comment